Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: Ice Swimming...

Ice Swimming... 19 Jan 2018 13:42 #13507

• Red Adair
  • New-to-Tri
  • New-to-Tri
  • Thank you received: 2
mental !! Chapeau !!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ice Swimming... 29 Jan 2018 20:29 #13579

• cornolan
  • cornolan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Thank you received: 44
Update

I completed my Ice km on Saturday water was 4.4* and air temp was 10* I did the swim in 21:37:59 10seconds quicker than the last 1km swim which was 2 weeks ago a training swim at 4.0*

Knowing the water was 4.4* I knew I could finish as in my head 4.4* wasn't that cold (mad but true)
So 3, 2, 1 and we were off. Anne and myself were the first swimmers to test the water. The swim was grand only I was on the inside lane usually I've been on the outside lane. I guess we all have a preference to lane. One thing that I wasn't expecting was the cheering and shouting I got from David and everyone there. Every time I got to the deepend David was on his hands and knee shouting at me to kick my legs (I don't kick my legs but I did haha) Anne finished 2 lengths ahead of me. Finally, I was on my last 50m and delighted to be climbing out.

Now for the recovery. Hot towels were slapped around me and feet into warm water but felt like it was boiling. My hands were killing me and I wasn't talking much. I had gone through my recovery chat with Michelle beforehand so she knew what to expect from me. There was very little chat from me for about 10mins but I could hear and knew what was going on. Padriag was asking lots of questions and I was just nodding. I think the towels were a little too hot I think that was just the groggy feeling of getting warm again. Finally, I was talking and was grand my hands still sore and my back was freezing so into the sauna for a few minutes which was really warm it's never that warm. Once a felt warm enough I went to get dressed and cheer everyone else on. For the rest of the morning I had my dry robe on it's like a duvet best thing ever.

Next stop Lough Dan this Saturday 3rd Feb.
Mens race starts at 10:30 and the ladies gets going as soon as they finish I'm expecting the ladies will be in the water for 11am. All support is welcome. Below is some information from Fergal

6th Eastern Bay Invitational International Ice Mile Swim - Saturday, February 03, 2018 - Lough Dan, Co. Wicklow.
This day next week the biggest ice mile event of the year takes place. Again, we welcome a strong contingent of Irish and International Ice Swimmers. The swim starts at 10:30am from the lakeshore at beautiful Lough Dan. We are again indebted to the Lough Dan Scouts for allowing us again to run the Eastern Bay Invitational International Ice Mile Swim. The swim would not happen without the contribution of so many of the friends and family of Eastern Bay Swim Team. We will have over 100 at the swim to watch over a mere twenty swimmers. To pull just few names from the hat I want to thank my Eastern Bay team-mates, Irish Red Cross, Dublin City Council, Green Tiger, Irish Water Safety, Wild Water Kayak Club, Outdoor Swimmer and Swim Ireland and so many individuals that if I name any I'll leave loads out and be in trouble.
We welcome all visitors to come along and watch this amazing event. If you are coming, please come early. To protect the meadow area and pathway only safety boats and kayaks may be driven beyond the designated car park area. So, enjoy the walk to the lakeside and the spectacle of the swim.
Remember, you are coming to watch Ireland's premier ice mile event. It will be cold and windy and (hopefully) dry. Please bring along one or two flasks (you're welcome to share with our swimmers and visitors).
Our 20 swimmers this year hold between them 10 English Channel Swims (including 1 two way), 4 North Channel Swims, 2 Ironmen (one of them is an IronWoman), a number of the world's other Channels, multiple previous ice miles. (We are very grateful to those of you who will be with us (in person, online and in spirit) next Saturday and who have crewed and supported us on our many swimming adventures.
We will tell you all how much we appreciate you when we get home and in Mulligans, Poolbeg Street on Saturday evening (from 8:30pm).
See you next Saturday.
Fergal & the team of 100+
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Evans, michaelp

Ice Swimming... 29 Jan 2018 21:56 #13580

• michaelp
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 185
I felt cold just watching the video Corinna! Amazing achievement!

Ice Swimming... 30 Jan 2018 11:27 #13584

• Stuey
  • New-to-Tri
  • New-to-Tri
  • Thank you received: 1
Wow, well done!

Ice Swimming... 30 Jan 2018 11:50 #13585

• Heidijo
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 44
Amazing and inspiring as usual Corinna. Well done i know you love this stuff. All the best for Saturday if i dont get down there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cornolan

Ice Swimming... 30 Jan 2018 13:19 #13586

• Ciaraoneill
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 239
The very best of luck this weekend Corinna :cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cornolan

Time to create page: 0.251 seconds