TOPIC: Bike Accident Blackspots

Bike Accident Blackspots 31 May 2018 10:59 #14258

• dbutler
  • dbutler's Avatar Topic Author
  • New-to-Tri
  • New-to-Tri
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi All,

After the latest bike accident outside my house on Saturday involving a head injury & hospitalization, I just wanted to highlight the area which has caused a number of accidents on the same bend at the bottom of a steep hill in the last 2 years (5 cyclists with head & other injuries that I know of). The bend is on the L1059 Laragh to Lough Dan/Roundwood road at Oldbridge. There is a small cottage on the bend which is at the bottom of a very steep descent past the Wicklow Way Lodge B&B. The guy on Saturday missed a telecoms pole & boulder by inches which are right on the bend. Other people have hit the house or a stone wall adjacent.

Please circulate to other clubs or riders that you know & maybe it would be useful to develop some information on other accident locations in Wicklow. All injured so far were not regular cyclists around Wicklow or hadn't been on this road before. I have been in touch with the council again to try to get them to put up some cyclist specific warning signs but they didn't do anything the last time. The road surfaces on this road have also deteriorated badly. Cyclists are often on the wrong side of the road trying to make the bend & somebody is going to be fatally injured. See map of location.

Best wishes,
David
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ConorF, JDarcy1, DaveMcD, Ciaraoneill, Paul Evans, steve_mc, FionaMcB, Orla MCA, petchie, Alston, Sarahwicklow, JennyD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by dbutler.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds