Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me

TOPIC: 70.3 Best good luck

70.3 Best good luck 19 Aug 2018 21:00 #14674

• petchie
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Thank you received: 10
Today was my first Ironman 70.3. I have seen, heard and felt the power and passion of the Wicklow Tri Club support crew before, but not at today’s level. You were everywhere. I cannot thank you all individually as I am afraid faces were sometimes a blur (the rain, not my speed); but thank you all so much. From yelling support and encouragement before we had reached the hills, through Roundwood, up into the mountains and on to the huge cheers during the run. The choice of venue by Sally Gap was inspired. That was a cheeky section and you lifted us up the walls. But in true WTC inclusiveness, you cheered all the participants. Fair play to you.

There was only one team out there today.

Ours.

You little darlings

Thank so much

Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: michaelp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by petchie.

70.3 Best good luck 20 Aug 2018 07:25 #14675

• comahony1
  • New-to-Tri
  • New-to-Tri
  • Thank you received: 0
I have to agree with all the above. My first 70.3 as well. I went into it under trained and felt out of my depth at times. Thanks to all WTC crew who braved the elements out of the bike course and cheered us on for what felt like endless loops on the run. I reckon I would have bailed on the run course without it.

Chris

70.3 Best good luck 20 Aug 2018 19:40 #14680

• Valerie
  • New-to-Tri
  • New-to-Tri
  • Thank you received: 0
Well, that was an interesting day. Not my finest performance but delighted to get in before the cutoff.
The support from Wicklow Tri was immense and the choice of Pier Gates was inspired - I was feeling pretty sorry for myself by that point and it gave me a great boost. You weren't shy with sharing the love either as people from loads of different tri clubs specifically mentioned the great support from you guys! Best supporters ever! (I knew I made the right choice in switching from Belpark...)

70.3 Best good luck 21 Aug 2018 14:41 #14685

• JennyD
  • Sprint-Tri
  • Sprint-Tri
  • Thank you received: 2
My first Ironman 70.3 too. Amazing support before, during and after the race even from WTC members who I'd never met before. The shoutout on that hill (I had no idea where I was half the time. It's all a blur!) was absolutely amazing!!! WTC are by far the best club in the world. Unfortunately the red carpet wasn't for me. My swim was pretty great, but those hills were just too much for me. I was stopped at the 70k mark at Viewing Point, just when all the hard work was done. In a way I was relieved, but then I was frustrated and embarrassed and I felt I had let the club down so I started trying to hide my Wicklow trisuit under the foil blanket I had been given. There were 90 of us who were stopped from continuing and put into minibuses to return to Dun Laoghaire. When I got back to DL I met up with a few WTC members who reassured me very quickly because it was such a tough route. I totally underestimated Sally Gap and certainly hadn't trained enough for it. But thinking about it, I signed up for it before the cycle route was changed so the deed was done. I had only been doing swimming lessons for less than a year. I only started dabbling with cycling in December 2017. I wasn't part of WTC yet. All things considered, I did quite well. If it had been last year's route I'd have definitely finished the whole thing and within the cutoff. Maybe I'll settle my score with Sally next year. Thanks again to everyone in WTC for all the support and encouraging messages throughout my Ironman experience. XX I did thoroughly enjoy the whole experience, despite Sally. I have an IM hoodie with my name in tiny writing in the logo. LOVE IT!!

Last Edit: by JennyD.

70.3 Best good luck 21 Aug 2018 15:52 #14686

• ConorF
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 64
Well done to all of you. These races are not easy, ever, no matter what the course is like.
That 70.3 course could actually be the most difficult in the world, and therefore you need the support of the Best Triathlon Club in the World, and you got it.
@Jenny, don't let it put you off. Just think of what you've learned from this experience, and use all the positive elements on your next one.

Congratulations to all of you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JennyD

Lift your legs, they'll fall themselves

70.3 Best good luck 22 Aug 2018 09:57 #14687

• Emullally@gmail.com
  • New-to-Tri
  • New-to-Tri
  • Thank you received: 2
Well done to everyone last Sunday. To everyone who made it to the start line (which is an accomplishment in itself) and to everyone who supported us.
Ive signed up for a couple of Ironmans where I didnt make the start line so even to get through the swim and most of the way around the cycle is a big deal. I trained on that bike course for most of this year and I didnt once have a day as bad as last Sunday so dont be disheartened by it.
The support at Piers and at the gap was immense. How you managed to get a bbq and gas cannister up the hills on the back of a bike is beyond words! I could tast that bacon from about 100 meters away as wind was blowing staright down that hill. I cant understand though how I wasnt handed a bacon butty on the way through. Does that constitute illegal assistance?
The following user(s) said Thank You: JennyD

Time to create page: 0.332 seconds