Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
A section dedicated to newcomers. There's no such thing as a stupid question, we were all beginners once!

TOPIC: Transition for Beginners

Transition for Beginners 27 Apr 2015 09:02 #6613

• michaelp
  • michaelp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 185
Hi all,

I've been toying with the idea of running an informal session based on transition. It's an area we don't really spend enough time on as triathletes and something that is very daunting for newcomers! I'm aware we have a lot of new members this year so I thought this might be worthwhile.

The basic format would be:
  • What to bring with you on race day
  • What you need to do on race day when you arrive
  • How set up your space in the transition zone
  • General rules and regulations around the transition; helmets on before the bike, mount/dismount lines, public nudity... :whistle:
  • A practical walk-through of the various transitions, explaining what I'm doing and why as I go along
  • Finally (but most importantly), I would like everyone to set up their zones, get everyone in the water and try it out for themselves.
Your first time doing transitions should not be on race day - you'll have enough to be worrying about! So practising it beforehand is vital.

So, if you're new to triathlon (or just still very unsure about what you're doing!!) and are interested in coming along, please reply and if people are interested we'll set a date.

I'm provisionally thinking Sunday 10th May or Sunday 17th May down by Wicklow Harbour, in order to get this done and give people time to practice before Lough Cutra and TriAthy as I know a few of our newer members are targeting those races. So please also specify if you have a preference in terms of dates.

-Michael
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maryk, jedistev, grykyo, shane_w, Tony B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by michaelp.

Transition for Beginners 27 Apr 2015 11:16 #6614

• grykyo
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 113
There may be a WTC Juniors club triathlon scheduled for May 10th at The Murrough car park (beside skate park), I will have to confirm the date. Synergy would be a few "helpers" observing our juniors actually full-on racing each other through a real transition area in exchange for a fitted out transition area to practice in themselves. I know Michael may have considered in-harbour but thinking aloud, this could work very well.
For this and future transition training I will assemble a short bike-rack to be the property of the club, ready before either of these dates.

Garry
The following user(s) said Thank You: michaelp

Last Edit: by grykyo.

Transition for Beginners 27 Apr 2015 15:57 #6616

• PatRy
  • New-to-Tri
  • New-to-Tri
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks Michael. Transition demo/training will be much appreciated and beneficial. Preference for 10th, 17th works too. Pat.

Transition for Beginners 28 Apr 2015 13:11 #6622

• Veronica
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Thank you received: 16
Hi Michael

I'd be interested in this! The 10th works for me. Can't do the 16th/17th unfortunately.

Thanks

V

Transition for Beginners 29 Apr 2015 08:20 #6627

• Maryk
  • New-to-Tri
  • New-to-Tri
Sounds great Micheal, would love to join you but I am snookered both dates. Think I may have to wing in Athy!!! :ohmy:

Transition for Beginners 29 Apr 2015 08:36 #6628

• shane_w
  • Sprint-Tri
  • Sprint-Tri
Hi Michael,
Great idea, not around on 10th but 17th would work for me.
Thanks,
Shane

Time to create page: 0.273 seconds