Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
A section dedicated to newcomers. There's no such thing as a stupid question, we were all beginners once!

TOPIC: Transition for Beginners

Transition for Beginners 29 Apr 2015 10:39 #6632

• Orla MCA
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Thank you received: 17
Hi Michael, I would be very interested in this training...my first triathlon 30th may....so need a crash course!! thanks Orla

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Transition for Beginners 01 May 2015 13:39 #6657

• bthornt
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Olympic Triathlon
  • Thank you received: 1
Great idea would be interested in coming along

Transition for Beginners 05 May 2015 10:32 #6685

• shinners
  • Sprint-Tri
  • Sprint-Tri
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Michael,

Great idea - If there's a spot available, i'd like to take part. I'm around this Sunday - May 10th.

Thanks

Sinéad

Transition for Beginners 05 May 2015 11:21 #6686

• michaelp
  • michaelp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 185
Hi all,

Sunday 10th seems to be the winner (sorry Shane!!) and it fits nicely with the Junior Triathlon so there'll already be an area set up.

So I hope to get started at 3pm down by the Murrough carpark in Wicklow Town. The Junior Triathlon will be taking place at 2pm beforehand so if you can make it, please turn up earlier and support the juniors (or give a hand).

In terms of transition training, can each person bring everything you'd bring to a triathlon, including:
  • Tri suit or whatever you plan to wear at the traithlon (wear this under your clothes so you're ready to go)
  • Wetsuit
  • Swim hat
  • Goggles
  • Towel
  • Bike
  • Helmet
  • Cycling shoes (if you have them)
  • Runners
  • Race belt (if you have one)
  • Bodyglide/Vaseline/etc. (don't worry if you don't have any)
  • A bottle of water
  • Socks? Personal choice!
  • ...and anything else you think you might need

The plan is: To talk you guys through what happens on race day (registration, transition zones, etc.), and then to set myself up at the transition zone and explain how I've set myself up and why. I'll get my wetsuit on, get into the water, do a (very) short swim, get out, and I'll go through the motions of transition, talking through what I'm doing and why at each point. I may do a few things twice - an easy way and a more advanced way so that you can pick what technique you want to go for.

Then, it'll be time for you guys to do it yourselves. You'll get into the water - you won't be expected to swim very long, but it's more to get you used to having to get out of a wet wetsuit on race day! If you fancy swimming a little bit first, great - you'll probably be out of breath doing this part on race day. You'll transition to the bike and practice getting on at the appropriate point and off at the appropriate point (all will be explained). I don't expect you to cycle very far, just really out of the way so you can turn around and come back in. And then you can transition to the run.

Finally, I'll stick up a couple of good videos for transition training that I've seen on the site to help reinforce what we've learnt and for those who might not have been able to make the session.

If this seems daunting, I promise I'll do my best to make sure it's not by the time it comes to doing it yourselves! It is quite straightforward.

Hope to see you on Sunday and feel free to bring others along. If we have too many people for the bike racks then we can just do a few people at a time, those of you who are standing by can see what the others are doing and can give feedback afterwards.

-Michael
The following user(s) said Thank You: shinners, shane_w, bthornt

Transition for Beginners 05 May 2015 22:29 #6699

• grykyo
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 113
OK, so I don't want to hijack Michael's thread but the junior triathlon is sorted for 2:00pm this Sunday afternoon at "The Murrough" in Wicklow. Follow the new port road over the railway and park at the car park just before the skate/bike park on the left. We will have a course set up for the Junior's race which is purely a practice event for some of our younger members who hope to race this summer.

If you are new to racing I might suggest that it would do no harm to look at the transition and set up and see how they transition from swim to bike and on to the run. It may well prime you with some questions for later. We are always very aware of the junior's safety so welcome any help we can get supervising. Anybody hoping to do Michael's transition training would be most welcome especially if they have a bike and would like a short cycle or would like to jog along the promenade to warm up before swimming.

Similarly, any of our Wicklow based members, yes please if you could! Aside from supervision, there is nothing like cheering and clapping when you are anxious and this is a training event to help build the young athlete's confidence for racing.

Many thanks if you can come down to join us, we'll see you on Sunday!

Garry
The following user(s) said Thank You: michaelp

Last Edit: by grykyo.

Transition for Beginners 05 May 2015 23:49 #6702

• PaulD
  • New-to-Tri
  • New-to-Tri
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Michael,
That's sounds good. Count me in. See you on the 10th.
Cheers Paul

Time to create page: 0.279 seconds