Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Secret Key Remember me
A section dedicated to newcomers. There's no such thing as a stupid question, we were all beginners once!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Time Trialling for beginners

Time Trialling for beginners 14 May 2015 08:15 #6805

• grykyo
  • grykyo's Avatar Topic Author
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 113
Last night saw round 1 of the club's time trial league run at Cullenmore/Killoughter/Coynes Cross. As usual with John Darcy's prep and experience this was a stress free and smooth event with some of the club's strongest cyclists showing just how it should be done.

What struck me was how few of our new members participated. I accept that the first two rounds are very short 9km sprints but the next four TT's are sprint/olympic triathlon distance bike legs. As a new to racing member last year I found the turbo sessions and TT league races invaluable for measuring out effort on a set distance. In the TT rounds I attended I felt that I had managed my effort badly in every single race either expiring before half way or not going hard enough. I am so glad I had these races to experiment!

If you are new to triathlon then these TT's are a free insight into your condition and your pacing over race distances. They are a no-drafting time trial which is exactly what you will be doing on triathlon race day and we all know that race day is not when we should be trying new things out!

If your modesty kept you home last night then fear not. The ability of entrants spans the entire spectrum, both ladies and men and with two rounds of each distance you can use these to compare your own efforts completely ignoring all others for your own race prep.

Keep an eye on the forum for discussion but the next round is at Applegreen Services, Coynes/Cullenmore next Sunday morning. I strongly recommend these for fun, excitement, training and they are a great way to network with a world of experience and who knows, you might even enjoy them. I know I certainly do!

Garry
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joe Mo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time Trialling for beginners 14 May 2015 18:49 #6816

• Paul Evans
  • Away
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 35
Well put Garry.....spot on.....as you say - great opportunity for all levels and to get a feel of racing.....it's all about improving your own time/effort and most enjoyable event and chance to get to know other members ! ......all levels are welcome :cheer:

Time Trialling for beginners 15 May 2015 07:16 #6823

• Veronica
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Ironman 70.3
  • Thank you received: 16
Sadly I only have a hybrid at the moment so I would be left for dust on these cycles. Will definitely get out on the bike once I get a road bike.. although not sure when that will be :dry: if anyone hears of a second hand one for sale (probably 51cm frame as I am vertically challenged) let me know!
The following user(s) said Thank You: grykyo

Time Trialling for beginners 15 May 2015 11:48 #6828

• audreyp
  • Ironman
  • Ironman
  • Thank you received: 46
I considered it but i'm still getting to grips with the bike and the route was a bit too challenging for me. Maybe 2016 if I haven't sold my bike by then and given up the whole racket :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: grykyo

Time Trialling for beginners 15 May 2015 12:19 #6829

• grykyo
  • grykyo's Avatar Topic Author
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 113
I hear you and I understand that it can be frightening to even think about racing a bicycle. With the greatest respect Athy will be an adrenaline filled roller coaster ride, including a bike leg on unfamiliar roads. Now just in case this puts the fear of God across you, Athy is an out and back bike route with no turns bar the turn-around.

The adrenaline fuelled opportunity to feel the effort you can/can't use or should aim for on race day, well this is gold and what the tt's are all about. I don't know just how anxious you are over the cycle but really would urge everybody, particularly new to tri racers to use these TT's to go at your own pace if only to frame the race distance in your mind or get a feel for pacing if you can.

With regard to showing up at a tt league event? If I had a shred of vanity left in me I wouldnt be dressing up in spandex and certainly wouldn't be seen in the same parish as a race. Focus on the tt's as a structured training session, do it your way and go home and think about it. A triathlon is too big a punt to be experimenting with race pace and such like.

I'll get back in my box now, sorry...

Garry

Time Trialling for beginners 15 May 2015 12:58 #6830

• audreyp
  • Ironman
  • Ironman
  • Thank you received: 46
I'm not taking the race too seriously just giving it a go. I have been cycling lots and improving thankfully but still a bit nervous around crowds and all that so plan on hanging back in Tri Athy where i'm sure there will be plenty of people as bad, if not worse, than me.

I'll surprise them all with my amazing swimming and running ability though :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: markb

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.268 seconds