TOPIC: Dublin 70.3 - Training

Dublin 70.3 - Training 12 Jan 2015 13:27 #6186

• Buzbyjnr
  • Buzbyjnr's Avatar Topic Author
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • Thank you received: 81
Folks

I know a large number of you have entered Dublin 70.3 this year, and for many this is your first foray into longer distance triathlon.

We will be arranging a lunch'n'learn session over the coming weeks as an opportunity for you to ask any questions.. no matter how stupid, as well as a chance to work out some training buddies.

I'm also planning on setting up a What's App group for training.

also, i'll post 2 training programs.

1 - for those looking to complete the event (typically first timers)- - maxing out at around 8-10hrs a week during the 2-3peak weeks
2 - for those looking to compete in the event (i.e aim for a time / placing) - maxing out at around 15hrs a week during the 2-3peak weeks

Both programs will be designed around the club training sessions

To give you an idea of dates and preparation time:

Pre-build - 8 week - 1st Feb to 22nd March
Here you start getting back into training (if not already), you should use this 8 week block to focus on Core, Strength, Technique and to build a base level of fitness before we start the 20 week block. As a guide, by the end of the 8 weeks you should be able to - Swim 1km without stopping. Cycle for 2hrs and Run 10km (not one after the other!)

20 week build - starts 23rd March
From here in we will split into 2 programs Compete and Complete.

let me know if you have any questions, and keep an eye on the club e-mails for details on the Lunch'n'Learn.

We can use this thread for any questions.

Jamie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: michaelp, anthonyf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Growing old is Mandatory.... Growing Up is optional.....

Re: Dublin 70.3 - Training 12 Jan 2015 13:58 #6187

• kgraham
  • Ironman
  • Ironman
  • Thank you received: 41
Great idea Jamie. Looking forward to training with everyone again for this Kx

Getting back into it.....

Re: Dublin 70.3 - Training 12 Jan 2015 13:58 #6188

• anthonyf
  • Ironman
  • Ironman
  • Thank you received: 23
Great idea! Will be my 3rd year going for this distance (successful (for me) 2013 and disastrous 2014 due to illness) and would be great to have an opportunity to share my thinking on my training with others as I am clearly not the best at building training plans! Would be great to look at how to deal with gaps in training schedules due to work, family etc. Travel a lot with work to places where I can't train easily so would love to hear other WTC member's ideas about maintaining. Will keep watching the thread

Re: Dublin 70.3 - Training 13 Jan 2015 13:02 #6189

• jedistev
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 22
Mr Bray,

You are a..

I do need it, I'm in the same shoes as Anthonyf, never easy living in a hotel, eat like a king.

Now back to diet, training and core workout.

Steven

Re: Dublin 70.3 - Training 02 Feb 2015 13:37 #6259

• Buzbyjnr
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
So here we go folks.... the start of the 8 week Pre-Build phase.

think of this as a period of training to train. i.e to get your body ready for the main 20 week training phase

some of you may be thinking 20 weeks is a long time, and i could get ready for a 70.3 in much less... if that's you then go for it. The reason for the 20 weeks is that it takes time to gain consistency. Especially if this is the first time at 70.3 distance for you. 20 weeks allows you time to make mistakes and rectify them.

Pre-Build Phase

This phase is for those in the Compete AND Complete camps.. so for everyone.

You will need to get to grips with training 2x a day for 2-3 days of the week... again this take practice and also logistics!

here's a general rule of thumb for training.

2 sessions per week per discipline + 2 Core/Strength sessions will get you to the finish line.

3 sessions per week per discipline + 2 Core/Strength sessions will get you to the finish line in far better shape.

HOWEVER.... if one of the disciplines is your strength, then drop one session of your stronger discipline and add a additional session of your weaker discipline.

WEEK 1

Swim
Session 1: You should be doing at least 1 of the Club swim sessions (this is your harder/higher intensity swim session)
Session 2: Distance - 70.3 is about endurance - make your 2nd session of the week a Distance set at slower than target race pace. Your Main set should be of equal distance (ish) to race distance - 1.9km. Try this - 400 warm up. Main set - 5x400m with 30s recovery @ steady pace 10s /100 slower than target. + cool down.
Session 3: If you have time - 400 WU, 10x100 with 15s rest, 5x200 with 30s rest, Cool down - you can use some of the 100's as drills - pull buoy and paddles

Bike
Session 1: Saturday Club Spin - this is your main endurance cycle.. and most important bike session of the week.
Session 2: Turbo - Wednesdays Turbo session is ideal, if you cant make this session, John always posts the session on the forum, so make time for this at home. (you can use a spinning bike/gym bike if needed)
Session 3: If you have time - Strength / Overgear session - warm up for 15mins, then pick a 4min long hill 4-5% gradient - start with 4 sets, building by adding 1 more each week. Ride for 4mins in seated position (if you have a TT bike, then stay on the TT bars). Cadence should be 50-60rpm, effort should be Zone 2, 70.3 race pace effort, cool down with 15-20mins high cadence.

Run
Session 1: Tuesday night Tilley Session - This will be your threshold and higher intensity session
Session 2: Long Run - Sunday's Session is ideal. Be careful and start cautiously. Start at 8km and build by adding 1km per week. VERY VERY easy pace... 1min per km slower than target race pace.
Session 3: Easy brick off one of the bike sessions - 2-3km NO MORE>

Other sessions: if you can try and get at least 1 Core Session in per week (Adams Thursday session in Greystones is ideal)

this will be the base of the 8 week block building gradually each week, with a step back week for recovery every 4th week.

Let me know how the training is going, and post any questions here, or feel free to ask me at any of the club sessions.

Good luck with your journey to 70.3.... remember its as much about the Journey as it is the race!!!

Re: Dublin 70.3 - Training 02 Feb 2015 13:42 #6260

• Buzbyjnr
  • King/Queen of Kona
  • King/Queen of Kona
What's App Training Group...

if you are on What's app let me know, and i'll add you to the training group

Jamie

Time to create page: 0.244 seconds