Details from Martina in relation to our club duathlon, which we're hoping to hold next Sunday ....
As you know the club has planned a couple of duathlon races and the March race is due to take place next Sunday 11th March. It won't have escaped your notice however, that Roundwood has had a sprinkling of snow!! We are working on the basis that the event can go ahead but we are dependant on a decent thaw but with no flooding (not a lot to ask really!).
Obviously, the event will not take place unless it is absolutely safe to do so but in the meantime we will continue to be optimistic and put our planning in place.
On that basis could I ask any members who intend to participate to pop their names on the forum or email firstname.lastname@example.org, just to give us an idea of numbers. You can of course still sign up on the day.
This email also has information previously circulated around the logistics. Please read carefully and familiarise yourself with the important details. This is a fun event with a healthy level of competitive edge but key to everybody's enjoyment is making this a SAFE event which respects the community, the participants and the marshals.
This event is taking place in a scenic location which is accessed by members of the public. The Roundwood and District Community Council has been involved, in conjunction with Irish Water, in developing paths around the reservoir. The work is ongoing and is due to finish spring/summer 2018.You are asked to respect members of the public accessing the area and please do not litter. And yes, banana peel is litter!
You are asked to park in Roundwood village. There is plenty of parking in the village particularly on the left hand side, just before the Coachman's pub. There is NO parking at the Reservoir. Please park in the village and cycle the short (5-7mins) to the Knockraheen entrance to the Upper Vartry Reservoir. The Knockraheen entrance is on the Newtownmountkennedy Road (R765) - you can't miss it!
Registration opens at 8.00am - you must have your Triathlon Ireland card with you (or email confirmation proving TI membership if your 2018 card hasn't arrived yet) - no TI card, no race
Transition opens at 8.00am
Transition closes at 8.30am
Competitor briefing at 8.45am
The race will commence at 9.00am sharp
There is information about the race route in the document attached. Further information will be given at the race briefing.
We are suggesting an optional entry price of €15 to participate in the series. This money will be donated to Wicklow Hospice. Donations are payable via our online store (here).
A number of people have very kindly offered to help with the organisation and marshaling of this event. This is very much appreciated and we will be in touch with you separately in relation to roles and responsibilities.
Following the event we plan to go for coffee and a chin wag to the Coachman's pub in Roundwood
Please keep an eye on the forum for any updates. It just remains to wish everybody who participates a very safe and enjoyable race.
As you'll have seen in this morning's email, we've had to cancel the duathlon for this Sunday as well, due to the very slow-thawing snow on the course route See note from Martina below.
The next race is scheduled for Sunday April 15th, so please put it in your diaries. Martina has put a massive amount of effort into organising these races, for the benefit of club members. With close to 200 members in the club already this year, we'd really love to see more people making an effort to get involved. As well as being a great training opportunity, it's a nice chance to meet up with your club mates too.
From Martina ....... Unfortunately, we are going to have to cancel our duathlon scheduled for this Sunday. For those of you on Mother's Day duty you can rest easy that there's no fun stuff happening!!
A recce of the course makes it clear that it is not, nor will it be by Sunday, safe to run the event. There is a huge amount of snow on the course and whilst the thaw has begun it is not impacting significantly on the volume of snow.
We are aiming to go ahead with our race scheduled for April and will come back to you with more details. We will also try to find another slot for the re-scheduled duathlon.